Thursday, 8 June 2017

Revisiting Childhood Roots



Having enjoyed my recent school visit so much, I sat down to think where I would like to go next, and then it struck me. I would love to re-visit my old junior & infants school in Sheffield. I  quickly Googled for a contact number and discovered it is now a Junior Academy. 

I rang to ask for the name of who to contact and sat down to write an email. At this stage I am doing school visits free of charge, but with the ability to sell my book to those that would like a copy, while I hone my skills.

I was so happy to receive a reply telling me they would be happy for me to visit, have a look around the school to see how it's changed and to chat to some of the classes. 

I'm really excited about this visit, it's been over 30 years since I was last at the school and it has some wonderful memories. Making sponge soap turtles for the Christmas Fayre when I was about 7, taking part in end of term shows, sports days, Friday morning mental arithmetic challenge - 100 sums to do, (I like numbers). 

I remember getting my first day wrong. We lived in a house where the garden backed on to the school playing field, and I would go home for lunch. Mum told me I had to go back in the afternoon and when the bell went I could come home. And so, I went back for the afternoon classes and came home when the bell sounded. Except, mum had forgotten about afternoon break and I scuttled off home about an hour too soon. Fair play thought, I didn't get sent back that afternoon, just returned the following morning with a note from mum.

I will be talking to much younger children than on my last school visit so I will be doing more reading from my book. I am now re-reading it to find some short passages that work well being read out loud... and then I need to do lots of practice as I find it very difficult to read out loud.

I have 2 weeks before my trip to Sheffield and time will pass very quickly

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Jacqui, I'm enjoying hearing about what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete